SOCIAL MEDIA

OUR TRYING TO CONCEIVE JOURNEY
Part 3: The Weight Issue

Monday 13 May 2019
I like t think that I'm a pretty confident person. When it comes to the things that I know about and feel, I'm very happy to voice those opinions. However, like everyone, I do have those moments of self-doubt and low self-esteem.

This weekend was one of those moments when I went searching for something to wear to my BIL's engagement party. I had been looking in a few different places for something and eventually settled on a beautiful dress from City Chic.


As a plus sized woman, I love City Chic because their clothes that are designed specifically for plus sized ladies. They look good. They fit good. It's an amazing place to go and find clothes. However, the search I went through beforehand was what really put my head in a bad space and I found myself asking myself "do I really want to be this size and pregnant?"

It's definitely a low point to hit as I've always had a bit of an issue with my weight and it's become a bit more prominent since being diagnosed with PCOS (poly-cystic ovary syndrome). I've never really felt as bad as what I did on Saturday trying on clothes but it has resulted in me coming to a conclusion regarding my weight.

I need to get a better handle on it.

Why is it such an issue? Because as someone who is on the larger side it can cause issues when trying to get a handle on all the symptoms that come with PCOS.

Many of you might say "saying lose weight is not looking at the actual issue" but in my case what I found when researching after being diagnosed is that weight management can be as important for women with PCOS as it is for women who have diabetes.

Research has shown that women with PCOS have problems regulating the hormones that control appetite and hunger, and while there is no evidence to show that this makes women with PCOS more susceptible to being weight gain it does give evidence that women with PCOS are more likely to gain weight quicker. As a result, losing 5%-10% of your body weight can help regulate the hormones in your body as well as help with other symptoms. Losing weight with PCOS can also help to improve fertility which is why it's been something that I have been working on for the past year.

I've reached my first goal of 10% early this year but after the weekend I had and thinking things through I decided to try loosing another 10% in the hopes that it would bring up my fertility.

It may seem strange to read that I'm focusing on this side of things and not taking my temperature to check for ovulation and the like but I like to think that this is just one step that I'm taking to get us closer to having a baby. Ovulation tests, temperature checking, cervical mucus, they're all another step that I'm taking to ensure we have the best chance, just as taking vitamins (pregnancy, fish oil, and pro-biotics) are other steps I'm taking.

I'm basically trying to cover all my bases to ensure that T and I have the best chance possible to conceive a baby.

April was a bust. Despite being late with my period, it ended up showing last Wednesday and I'm honestly glad it did. With my cysts bursting throughout the month and some stress to do with school, I ended up with some bad PMS that made me think that I was pregnant and somehow we were successful our first month of trying.

However, we weren't. It was very unlikely we were going to get lucky the first month so I'm not devastated but hopeful that May is going to be a better month for us.

What were some of the things you tried when you tried for a baby?

Post a Comment