SOCIAL MEDIA

4 Ways to Use your Breastfeeding Pillow

Tuesday 19 May 2020

So you've bought a breastfeeding pillow and you're either no longer breastfeeding or you're looking for other ways to use it in order to get your money back. Well I've got 4 ways that the breastfeeding pillow can be used that can be beneficial for your baby or helpful for you.

Before I begin I'd like to put a warning in here that the uses that I have listed are all uses that you're going to need to supervise bub while doing. I know it should go without saying, but it's just something I want to throw in there just to make sure that no one reads this and thinks that it's ok to just leave your baby alone while doing these things. 

Feeding

It's one of the most obvious uses for the Breastfeeding Pillow but it does need to be used. My breastfeeding journey ended at three weeks due to a combination of AJ being unable to latch correctly and my supply tanking. However, during the very short time that I was breastfeeding, this pillow was amazing. AJ was a tiny 2.8kgs when she was born, so sometimes it was hard to get her into the right position as I was unable to get her to rest on my leg so I had to manage holding her up and positioning her head at the same time. This pillow helped remove the hard part of this and all I had to focus on was getting her head into position so she could latch. For the short time I used it for breastfeeding, it was an amazing product. I also found it great to bottle feed her on. I used to put her in a similar position as I would when I was holding her and the pillow would help support her. 

Laying Position

AJ has always favoured the right side of her head. Its created a bit of a flat spot that is finally starting to correct itself now that she is sitting more and actually tolerating tummy time. When she was little we would put her in different laying positions to help prevent this from happening and this pillow helped. It wasn't something that we would do without us being in the room with her, but it gave her a change from laying flat and it made it harder for her to move her head back to the right. It was also amazing to use while I was trying to eat breakfast after T went back to work as she felt safe and comfy in it.

Tummy Time

Tummy Time is important for a baby's development and I've got a post lined up all about that in the future. However, when you have a baby that hates tummy time, sometimes a change of position can help a lot to get them to lift their head. Even with babies that love tummy time, it's nice to change things for them. I've said for months that AJ hates tummy time and the only way we get through it is by changing it up for her. We give her different things to look at, different things to play with and by changing the position she doesn't feel as if she stuck doing the same thing multiple times a day.

Sitting Assistance

AJ has been trying to pull herself up into a sitting position since she was 12 weeks old. When I noticed this I started getting her to sit more. We didn't have a high chair or any other seat for her at the time which is why the breastfeeding pillow came in handy as we waited for them to come. It helped to give her stability while at the same time not taking over completely for her. She's now lost all her wobble and is working on trying to keep herself upright. Plus if she falls she's got a soft landing. I love the pillow for this as it's such a simple tool that is helping her to learn while at the same time keeping her safe.

If you're interested in buying the breastfeeding pillow that I use, you can find it here.

What do you use your breastfeeding pillow for?

1 comment :

  1. Good article, and now I can give my neighbhour some advices.

    Visits, coments, and share my blog posts. Here is the link : duniabahasabali.blogspot.com

    That blog of mine is abou Bali, learning how to speak Balinese, where to stay, where to eat, and other.

    ReplyDelete