SOCIAL MEDIA

DIY Sensory Mobile for Play Gym

Monday 22 June 2020

DIY Sensory Mobile for Play Gym

I've been a fan of Play at Home Mummy on Instagram for a little while as I have loved the activities that she was doing with her 13-month-old. As I was going through her highlights I found a couple that centered on when Miss 13 months was 4 months, the same age as Arielle, and fell in love with the mobile she had made for her. 

It made me want to make my own version of it but the problem was that I didn't know how I could rig it in our house, due to the fact that we rent. It took me a little while but I eventually worked out how to so it worked on our play gym that we got from Kmart. 

It ended up being very simple and easy to make and so I documented the process so I could share it on Instagram. Then realised that some people may want an easier to read version and decided to write it down on here as well.

Materials

  • Ribbons. I got these ones from Kmart in the kid's craft section for $3. They already come precut and there are a variety of other ribbons in there as well.
  • Elastic
  • Needle and thread
  • Wooden rings. You can get these at bunnings, they're wooden curtain rings. You buy them in a pack of 5 for $7
  • Bell
  • Needle and thread. This is optional but I'll explain why I do it in the instructions.

Instructions

DIY Sensory Mobile for Play Gym

  1. Cut a piece of elastic long enough so that when it is looped it's about 5-7cms. Longer if you are going to cows hitch the mobile to the play gym to attach it. Thread it through the metal hook that comes with the rings. Overlap the two ends and then sew them together. I chose to sew them together just for the look here but you can also just knot it if it's easier for you. 
  2. Using a thin piece of ribbon, thread a bell on it and then tie it so its in the middle of the wooden ring. To ensure that mine was secure I then tied the ribbon around the bottom of the hook and did a bow just for aesthetic reasons. 
  3. Choose your ribbons and then cow hitch knot them over the rings. To ensure that they don't start to unravel I did a couple of stitches through the ribbon at the top but this is completely optional. 
  4. Attach to your play gym. I like to use lots of links to do this but you can also cow hitch it to the gym as well. 

And that's it. AJ has been playing with her mobile now for the past week and has been loving it. It's now become a part of our rotation.  

What is your baby's favourite toy at the moment?

Post a Comment